Reasons to Have Pride in 2012, Part 3
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2012 5:15 AM ET
Because rockers love us now
A quick peek at Miley Cyrus’s right-hand ring finger will reveal a small equal sign tattoo, and she’s repeatedly tweeted her motto, “All love is equal.” To naysayers, Cyrus replied, “Where does it say in the Bible to judge others? Oh right. It doesn’t. God is the only judge, honey. God is love.” She’s not the only one. The Voice’s judges Blake Shelton and Adam Levine openly flirt with each other, and Levine was photographed for the cover of Out. Big names aren’t the only ones, as emerging bands are talking more than ever about LGBT support. “The gay community is very supportive of my career,” VV Brown (pictured) told Gay List Daily in February. “It’s great because they’re fabulous.” Grass Widow put out a group statement saying, “None of us identify as queer, but we are definitely advocates and have always made a point to make our music and in particular our shows accessible to everyone, promoting a positive, gender-inclusive atmosphere.”
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'