What Are We Thankful For?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2013 7:15 AM ET
Jack Andraka, Gay Teen Science Prodigy
I’m thankful for young LGBT people like Jack Andraka who are not only changing the world with their brilliance, but are also brave enough to be open about who they are. Though some may feel Andraka’s sexuality isn’t important enough to be mentioned when discussing his scientific discovery, his visibility as an out 16-year-old who developed a revolutionary new test for detecting pancreatic cancer provides young people struggling with their sexuality a wonderful opportunity to see their potential reflected in a society that is in desperate need of diverse LGBT role models. —Jase Peeples
Tags: Arts & Entertainment
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Ala. Senate Passes Bill That Would End Marriage Licenses
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Priest Dismissed by Catholic College Comes Out as Gay