What Are We Thankful For?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2013 6:15 AM ET
Jack Andraka, Gay Teen Science Prodigy
I’m thankful for young LGBT people like Jack Andraka who are not only changing the world with their brilliance, but are also brave enough to be open about who they are. Though some may feel Andraka’s sexuality isn’t important enough to be mentioned when discussing his scientific discovery, his visibility as an out 16-year-old who developed a revolutionary new test for detecting pancreatic cancer provides young people struggling with their sexuality a wonderful opportunity to see their potential reflected in a society that is in desperate need of diverse LGBT role models. —Jase Peeples
Tags: Arts & Entertainment
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View