Designing for a Cause
BY Layla Dhere
July 14 2009 12:00 AM ET
Acclaimed interior designer David Phoenix attributes his success to the man who mentored him as a teen.
"He took me under his wing after I ran away from home, and I attribute a lot of my success to him," Phoenix says. "I think everyone needs a role model, and that's how I've tried to live my life."
Accustomed to designing interiors for the rich and famous, Phoenix now has a very different project on his hands -- designing an after-school space for the LGBT youth mentoring program LifeWorks.
Phoenix was introduced to the Los Angeles nonprofit in 2006 through a close friend, LifeWorks board president Chip Sullivan. While previously unfamiliar with the program, Phoenix immediately got intensely involved after cochairing an event for the center.
"Once I got into it and saw some of the mentees, it was a no-brainer for me."
LifeWorks was started in 2002 by Garrison Smith and Michael Ferrera, who met while working for the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. They believe in helping LGBT teens in five areas of their development: home, health, education, career, and personal development. It's one of a a few gay and lesbian centers specifically for LGBT youths, which Phoenix says is what makes the program significant.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 1 min 26 sec ago
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 18 min 44 sec ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 27 min 41 sec ago
- Politics Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch (or Re-Watch) Veronica Mars Now That the Movie Is Out! 1 hour 6 min ago
- Theater These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash 1 hour 9 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Matt Bomer 1 hour 20 min ago