Designing for a Cause
BY Layla Dhere
July 14 2009 12:00 AM ET
The influence of mentors has proved to be paramount in the realm of personal development. Phoenix stresses the importance of mentors for LGBT youths, especially the estimated 3,000 homeless LGBT teens in Los Angeles. "I think it's great to have a place to hang out after school -- from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. You can get off the streets, and I think by reducing people on the streets, we'll be able to keep them out of trouble."
Studies have shown that one in three teens seriously contemplates suicide, and gay and lesbian teens are four times more likely to attempt suicide -- nine times more likely if they come from nonaccepting homes. LifeWorks offers a place for gay and lesbian teens to feel accepted and get positive reinforcement from mentors. "When I was growing up, there were very few people who were out who were role models, and I think that whether you're gay or straight, you need a positive role model," Phoenix says.
Phoenix has been lauded for his simple, modern aesthetic of "California elegance." He intends to utilize his signature style while designing the LifeWorks space, but he also stresses the importance of functionality.
"It's going to get a lot of use, so I want it to be rather forgiving," he says.
As for the budget differences between his usual work -- high end residential spaces -- and a nonprofit with a scant budget, Phoenix remains optimistic.
"I'm having to be creative and call in a lot of favors," he says. "I've had a lot of people reaching out and wanting to be involved when I approach them. We've been rather successful so far. I think that even if you don't have a large budget, there's no reason why it shouldn't look good."
The space will include a large seating area, a computer area, a TV nook, a kitchenette, an office area, and a game room.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 39 min 54 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 42 min 45 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 42 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM