Designing for a Cause
BY Layla Dhere
July 13 2009 11:00 PM ET
The influence of mentors has proved to be paramount in the realm of personal development. Phoenix stresses the importance of mentors for LGBT youths, especially the estimated 3,000 homeless LGBT teens in Los Angeles. "I think it's great to have a place to hang out after school -- from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. You can get off the streets, and I think by reducing people on the streets, we'll be able to keep them out of trouble."
Studies have shown that one in three teens seriously contemplates suicide, and gay and lesbian teens are four times more likely to attempt suicide -- nine times more likely if they come from nonaccepting homes. LifeWorks offers a place for gay and lesbian teens to feel accepted and get positive reinforcement from mentors. "When I was growing up, there were very few people who were out who were role models, and I think that whether you're gay or straight, you need a positive role model," Phoenix says.
Phoenix has been lauded for his simple, modern aesthetic of "California elegance." He intends to utilize his signature style while designing the LifeWorks space, but he also stresses the importance of functionality.
"It's going to get a lot of use, so I want it to be rather forgiving," he says.
As for the budget differences between his usual work -- high end residential spaces -- and a nonprofit with a scant budget, Phoenix remains optimistic.
"I'm having to be creative and call in a lot of favors," he says. "I've had a lot of people reaching out and wanting to be involved when I approach them. We've been rather successful so far. I think that even if you don't have a large budget, there's no reason why it shouldn't look good."
The space will include a large seating area, a computer area, a TV nook, a kitchenette, an office area, and a game room.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM