Designing for a Cause
BY Layla Dhere
July 13 2009 11:00 PM ET
The influence of mentors has proved to be paramount in the realm of personal development. Phoenix stresses the importance of mentors for LGBT youths, especially the estimated 3,000 homeless LGBT teens in Los Angeles. "I think it's great to have a place to hang out after school -- from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. You can get off the streets, and I think by reducing people on the streets, we'll be able to keep them out of trouble."
Studies have shown that one in three teens seriously contemplates suicide, and gay and lesbian teens are four times more likely to attempt suicide -- nine times more likely if they come from nonaccepting homes. LifeWorks offers a place for gay and lesbian teens to feel accepted and get positive reinforcement from mentors. "When I was growing up, there were very few people who were out who were role models, and I think that whether you're gay or straight, you need a positive role model," Phoenix says.
Phoenix has been lauded for his simple, modern aesthetic of "California elegance." He intends to utilize his signature style while designing the LifeWorks space, but he also stresses the importance of functionality.
"It's going to get a lot of use, so I want it to be rather forgiving," he says.
As for the budget differences between his usual work -- high end residential spaces -- and a nonprofit with a scant budget, Phoenix remains optimistic.
"I'm having to be creative and call in a lot of favors," he says. "I've had a lot of people reaching out and wanting to be involved when I approach them. We've been rather successful so far. I think that even if you don't have a large budget, there's no reason why it shouldn't look good."
The space will include a large seating area, a computer area, a TV nook, a kitchenette, an office area, and a game room.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 45 min 41 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 1 hour 45 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM