Broadway's Nick Adams vs. New York Bar
BY Ross von Metzke
July 28 2009 12:00 AM ET
That seemed to make his fans even more mad -- between his Facebook and blog post, within a day, more than 100 people had weighed in, with some even posting photos from the Turtle Bay website of guys wearing white T-shirts. Then came an e-mail from the marketing and public relations manager for Turtle Bay, who reached out to Adams in response to complaints the bar had received in a letter the actor posted on his website.
"I feel terrible about this impression/misconception and want to do everything I can to rectify the situation as soon as possible," Kristi Paris wrote in the e-mail. "May I please invite you and your friends in as my guests for lunch/dinner and drinks on us? I'd love to meet you and your friends and have the chance to personally apologize for any negativity you experienced here."
In the letter, Paris reiterated the club's dress code and suggested Adams and his boyfriend might have even been denied entry because the club was at capacity. She made no mention of the people who were allowed into the club wearing white T-shirts.
Paris told Advocate.com that the no white T-shirt rule has been in place since "around April, " and that she isn't surprised to find that photos of people wearing white shirts in the club are available online. She said the rule is enforced to prevent people from showing up that the bar in Hanes undershirt type tee's.
She added that she personally reached out to Adams because "the last thing I'd want someone to associate with a place I worked for is that it might be homophobic."
Adams says that while he appreciates Paris's attempt to make amends, inviting Adams and his friends to a bar where they'll eventually spend money isn't quite what he had in mind.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 1 hour 37 sec ago
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM