BY Hugh Ryan
August 24 2009 11:25 PM ET
Do you have any recommendations for people who want to send something in? Anything you’re particularly looking for?
My favorite stories are the ones where you don’t know where it’s going to go. One I posted today started off, “This story is about jealousy. And about seeing Joan Rivers.” And I thought, Awesome. I have no idea where this is going to go. My other favorites are stories from people in their 60s. A lot of them start with “The year was 1965,” and immediately you think about how that was a different world for gay people.
How many stories are you up to now?
Probably like 130.
One hundred thirty since February? That’s a lot.
Since March. March 24. Right now I’m publishing one a day.
Do you have a favorite piece on IFD?
When we hit 100 entries on the site, we had a contest to pick the best one. The winner was by J.R. Mortimer. It’s about him folding laundry, about to break up with his boyfriend. As he’s folding, he’s talking about all the articles of clothing, like, “Oh, you bought me this shirt when ... ” And then there’s a flashback. So it was a lot of little moments, all connected through the clothes. It was very well written, had a lot of anecdotes within one story, and it was short.
What’s the future of IFD, now that you’ve got the site up and the unemployment is running out? Book? TV Show? Deal with NPR?
I’m turning IFD into a book. I have an agent, and I’ve divided the stories I’ve chosen into sections, like “Love and Relationships,” “Coming Out,” “Family,” “Life Before 1970.” We’re submitting the proposal now. Wish me luck
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 2 hours 20 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM