Sip on Starbucks for Today's Chick-fil-A Counter Protest
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 12:00 PM ET
Marriage equality activists are planning to swarm gay-supportive company Starbucks, among several others, Tuesday to counter the recent en masse eat-in at Chick-fil-A last week.
National Marriage Equality Day is meant to counter the chicken chain's record setting sales on August 1, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. According to ABC News, 650,000 people replied that they would visit a Chick-fil-A location on August 1 on Facebook. The event was staged weeks after uproar began over the revelation that the company's CEO Dan Cathy did not support marriage equality.
Starbucks announced its support of a marriage equality law in its home state of Washington earlier this year. The National Organization for Marriage launched a Starbucks boycott, only for LGBT people and allies to come out in droves to thank the Washington-based coffee chain for its support.
Kirsten Ott Palladino, editor of Equally Wed, and her wife organized the latest display of appreciation for Starbucks. It has now expanded to support several pro-gay companies including J.C. Penney, Nike, and Ben & Jerry's.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain 17 min 33 sec ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 1 hour 52 min ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 2 hours 15 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM