Sip on Starbucks for Today's Chick-fil-A Counter Protest
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 12:00 PM ET
Marriage equality activists are planning to swarm gay-supportive company Starbucks, among several others, Tuesday to counter the recent en masse eat-in at Chick-fil-A last week.
National Marriage Equality Day is meant to counter the chicken chain's record setting sales on August 1, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. According to ABC News, 650,000 people replied that they would visit a Chick-fil-A location on August 1 on Facebook. The event was staged weeks after uproar began over the revelation that the company's CEO Dan Cathy did not support marriage equality.
Starbucks announced its support of a marriage equality law in its home state of Washington earlier this year. The National Organization for Marriage launched a Starbucks boycott, only for LGBT people and allies to come out in droves to thank the Washington-based coffee chain for its support.
Kirsten Ott Palladino, editor of Equally Wed, and her wife organized the latest display of appreciation for Starbucks. It has now expanded to support several pro-gay companies including J.C. Penney, Nike, and Ben & Jerry's.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 44 min 32 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 44 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 46 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM