Sip on Starbucks for Today's Chick-fil-A Counter Protest
BY Michelle Garcia
August 07 2012 11:00 AM ET
Marriage equality activists are planning to swarm gay-supportive company Starbucks, among several others, Tuesday to counter the recent en masse eat-in at Chick-fil-A last week.
National Marriage Equality Day is meant to counter the chicken chain's record setting sales on August 1, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. According to ABC News, 650,000 people replied that they would visit a Chick-fil-A location on August 1 on Facebook. The event was staged weeks after uproar began over the revelation that the company's CEO Dan Cathy did not support marriage equality.
Starbucks announced its support of a marriage equality law in its home state of Washington earlier this year. The National Organization for Marriage launched a Starbucks boycott, only for LGBT people and allies to come out in droves to thank the Washington-based coffee chain for its support.
Kirsten Ott Palladino, editor of Equally Wed, and her wife organized the latest display of appreciation for Starbucks. It has now expanded to support several pro-gay companies including J.C. Penney, Nike, and Ben & Jerry's.
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM