Occupy D.C. Demands That LGBT Ally Keep His Home
BY Michelle Garcia
September 30 2012 1:22 PM ET
Several Occupy D.C. protesters made Bank of America locations all across the District their targets this weekend, demonstrating against the foreclosure of Rev. Robert Michael Vanzant's home in Fort Totten.
Vanzant, a supportive LGBT ally, is credited as being the pastor of the first church in Washington, D.C., to specifically serve LGBT people of color. According to NBC Washington, he suffered a mild stroke in 2008, which forced him to stop working full time. He is now the leader of the ministry team for Faith Temple.
According to demonstrators, Vanzant faces imminent eviction after the bank ignored his requests to modify his mortgage payments.
“I’ve spent my entire life serving God and my community,” Rev. Vanzant said in a petition to Bank of America. “When I became disabled and my income dropped, I reached out and asked for a modification so that I could continue to pay my mortgage. You denied my request and set me up for foreclosure and eviction.”
Photos from the protest are available on the following pages, and a video wrap-up of Saturday's events is below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Same-Sex Couples to Marry Saturday in Australian Capital
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM