Occupy D.C. Demands That LGBT Ally Keep His Home
BY Michelle Garcia
September 30 2012 2:22 PM ET
Several Occupy D.C. protesters made Bank of America locations all across the District their targets this weekend, demonstrating against the foreclosure of Rev. Robert Michael Vanzant's home in Fort Totten.
Vanzant, a supportive LGBT ally, is credited as being the pastor of the first church in Washington, D.C., to specifically serve LGBT people of color. According to NBC Washington, he suffered a mild stroke in 2008, which forced him to stop working full time. He is now the leader of the ministry team for Faith Temple.
According to demonstrators, Vanzant faces imminent eviction after the bank ignored his requests to modify his mortgage payments.
â€śIâ€™ve spent my entire life serving God and my community,â€ť Rev. Vanzant said in a petition to Bank of America. â€śWhen I became disabled and my income dropped, I reached out and asked for a modification so that I could continue to pay my mortgage. You denied my request and set me up for foreclosure and eviction.â€ť
Photos from the protest are available on the following pages, and a video wrap-up of Saturday's events is below.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry â€” Each Other 29 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 4 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 2 hours 5 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM