Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 10:00 AM ET
Photography by Danielle Levitt
After using the 50th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington to lobby for the overdue recognition of his late partner, Bayard Rustin — who organized the landmark event — Naegle (above, right) got President Obama to posthumously award Rustin the Presidential Medal of Freedom. “If Bayard were alive today,” he says, “he would be very impressed at the pace with which change has occurred in the LGBT community.”
Naegle photographed at Dune Studios in New York City on September 16, 2013
(SLIDESHOW: See the complete Out100 List)
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- MSNBC Shake-Up Means Big Role for Thomas Roberts
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana