Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 10:00 AM ET
Cassidy Lynn Campbell
Photography by Danielle Levitt
Campbell, 16, documented her gender transition on YouTube, then entered the race for homecoming queen at her high school in Orange County, Calif., to make a point. And she won. Despite some vicious responses after the story hit the national media this year, Campbell told the Los Angeles Times, “I realized it’s bigger than me. I’m doing this for the kids who can’t be themselves.”
Photographed at Milk Studios in Los Angeles on October 8, 2013
- Why Are We Gay?
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Freeheld: Love In the Time of Cancer
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'