Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 10:00 AM ET
Cassidy Lynn Campbell
Photography by Danielle Levitt
Campbell, 16, documented her gender transition on YouTube, then entered the race for homecoming queen at her high school in Orange County, Calif., to make a point. And she won. Despite some vicious responses after the story hit the national media this year, Campbell told the Los Angeles Times, “I realized it’s bigger than me. I’m doing this for the kids who can’t be themselves.”
Photographed at Milk Studios in Los Angeles on October 8, 2013
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- WATCH: Can the GOP Presidential Field Get Any More Antigay?
- Mixed Messages: Supreme Court Denies Review of 'Ex-Gay' Therapy Ban, Trans Inmate's Surgery