WATCH: Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Takedown of Homophobia
BY Jase Peeples
February 04 2014 2:02 PM ET
Irish Drag Queen Panti Bliss took to the stage of Ireland’s national theatre, the Abbey, on February 1 to deliver a powerful speech explaining the effects of homophobia and the oppressive environment antigay attitudes can foster for LGBT people, reports The Bilerico Project.
Bliss’s speech was a response to controversy surrounding comments the performer, also known as Rory O’Neal, made during a January interview with Irish radio station RTE, where he called out a number of newspaper columnists for writing homophobic opinion pieces.
“For the last three weeks, I have been lectured to by heterosexual people about what homophobia is and about who is allowed to identify it. Straight people have lined up... to tell me what homophobia is and to tell me what I am allowed to be oppressed by,” Bliss told the audience at the Abbey. “People who have never experienced homophobia in their lives... have told me that unless I am being thrown into prison or herded onto a cattle truck then it is not homophobia. And that feels oppressive.”
Though Bliss’s speech clocks in at nearly 11 minutes, it’s worth watching in full as she outlines the oppression of heterosexual privilege.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 8 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM