Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 3:50 PM ET
Patrick Wallace and Michael Volpat started the website A Note to My Kid as a place for parents to proudly share memories, thoughts, worries, and — ultimately — love for their LGBT children.
The site, which launched in May, is also as a means of supporting youth who
are pondering ways to come out to their parents.
“The love and support of our parents has been a treasured blessing in our lives,” says Wallace. “But many people we’ve been fortunate enough to meet throughout our lives have not been so lucky. We’ve heard stories firsthand of LGBT youth being ridiculed, disowned. and physically beaten for being gay.”
Wallace wants A Note to My Kid to help parents learn “how to express his or her love.” Read some of the most compelling submissions to the site on the following pages.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 30 min 39 sec ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 44 min 52 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 46 min 23 sec ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 1 hour 55 min ago
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 2 hours 48 min ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 3:32 PM