Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 2:50 PM ET
There was never any question in my mind that I would always love and cherish you as my son. I was told by many that "yes, I would always love my son, but not the lifestyle," yet I knew that was not enough. I embarked on a high learning curve, understanding homosexuality took time, but as I learned more about human nature/makeup, my thought expanded. I was ever getting closer to feelings of "This is my child, he needs all the love and support he can get, and I need to truly accept who he is!"
I only wish 10 years ago I could have gone to a "private space" and been able to share my emotions with others. I needed to know about others’ stories and family lives: where there were REAL personal life stories. I needed to know how other parents processed coming to terms with their child’s orientation. As I sought understanding, solace came via friends and from books of families’ stories of love and acceptance. I went from the gut-wrenching feelings of fear of unknown for all of us to the baby steps of learning about it and coming to full term with the great realization that "This is my child, and he did not make this choice. He is who God made him to be!"
Read the entire note
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 37 min 30 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 42 min 26 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 51 min 18 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 55 min 37 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 5 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 9 min ago
- Transgender Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year 1 hour 53 min ago