Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 3:50 PM ET
I will not pretend that I was not disappointed when I learned that you were gay. My disappointment was primarily driven by my belief that you would be forced to endure a life of ridicule and prejudice. I now believe that our society has improved in that regard to the point that you may now even enjoy an advantage in some respects by belonging to a group that has so many wonderful and talented members who stick together and promote each other. Your partner, Mike, is a perfect example! Just like you and so many of your friends and associates, he is smart, polite, mature, industrious, respectful and respectable. You are both valuable citizens of this great country (still with faults, but great nonetheless), and you deserve the same equal treatment as everyone!
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'