Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 3:50 PM ET
So many memories. I think I knew you were different, more as you got older. My heart cried when one day you came home after a school fight. It was later I realised you were a tough cookie. I also remember you taking anything you wanted from other kids in the playground, not something I condoned :)
I tried hard to toughen you up as you got older. I dressed that up as my fear for you, I was so afraid someone would hurt you. I knew a long time that you were gay before you told me. I know you tried to hide and pretend to me that your life would take the "expected" route. I think we were both protecting each other. It took time for understanding, but most of all, the love we all feel has only, and continues to grow stronger.
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media