Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 3:50 PM ET
So many memories. I think I knew you were different, more as you got older. My heart cried when one day you came home after a school fight. It was later I realised you were a tough cookie. I also remember you taking anything you wanted from other kids in the playground, not something I condoned :)
I tried hard to toughen you up as you got older. I dressed that up as my fear for you, I was so afraid someone would hurt you. I knew a long time that you were gay before you told me. I know you tried to hide and pretend to me that your life would take the "expected" route. I think we were both protecting each other. It took time for understanding, but most of all, the love we all feel has only, and continues to grow stronger.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- Writers Lena Waithe & Justin Simien Show Hollywood It’s More Than Just Black & White
- Ellen Page, This Generation's Gay A-Lister