Remembering the B in LGBT
BY Jonathan Vatner
July 25 2009 11:00 PM ET
In a 2005 article in the New York Times entitled "Straight, Gay, or Lying? Bisexuality Revisited," author Benedict Carey questioned whether true bisexuals really exist. If the "National Summit on Putting the 'B' in LGBT," the marquee event of Bi Visibility Weekend in June, had anything to say about it, apparently they do.
Sheela Lambert, founder of the three-year-old Bi Writers Association (formed in response to that article), put together the conference and the weekend's ancillary events (a reading from Lambda Literary Awards finalists called Bi Lines II and sundry meals at nearby restaurants) to illuminate the ranks of bisexuals for the LGBT community to see, and to try to convince organizations such as the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to add the "B" to their names.
"We're constantly bombarded with articles that say we don't exist and press releases that behave as though we don't exist," griped Lambert. "We see 'marriage for gay and lesbian couples' and 'gays and lesbians in the military.' It's very painful to be consistently ignored and excluded from issues that are so central to our lives."
Frank O’Connell, representing the New York Times Company’s GLBT & Allies Affinity Group, welcomed everyone to the conference. He is a bisexual man who has been married to a woman for 31 years, and has been completely open about his bisexuality with his LGBT coworkers. He did say however, that at many of the events he's attended for LGBT journalists, he often encounters men who publicly identify as gay, but in private confide to him that they are in fact bisexual.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 2 hours 27 min ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM