Remembering the B in LGBT
BY Jonathan Vatner
July 26 2009 12:00 AM ET
In a 2005 article in the New York Times entitled "Straight, Gay, or Lying? Bisexuality Revisited," author Benedict Carey questioned whether true bisexuals really exist. If the "National Summit on Putting the 'B' in LGBT," the marquee event of Bi Visibility Weekend in June, had anything to say about it, apparently they do.
Sheela Lambert, founder of the three-year-old Bi Writers Association (formed in response to that article), put together the conference and the weekend's ancillary events (a reading from Lambda Literary Awards finalists called Bi Lines II and sundry meals at nearby restaurants) to illuminate the ranks of bisexuals for the LGBT community to see, and to try to convince organizations such as the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to add the "B" to their names.
"We're constantly bombarded with articles that say we don't exist and press releases that behave as though we don't exist," griped Lambert. "We see 'marriage for gay and lesbian couples' and 'gays and lesbians in the military.' It's very painful to be consistently ignored and excluded from issues that are so central to our lives."
Frank O’Connell, representing the New York Times Company’s GLBT & Allies Affinity Group, welcomed everyone to the conference. He is a bisexual man who has been married to a woman for 31 years, and has been completely open about his bisexuality with his LGBT coworkers. He did say however, that at many of the events he's attended for LGBT journalists, he often encounters men who publicly identify as gay, but in private confide to him that they are in fact bisexual.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 4 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM