Remembering the B in LGBT
BY Jonathan Vatner
July 25 2009 11:00 PM ET
In the push for LGBT rights, the most effective tactic seems to be getting more and more people to come out, to put faces to a supposedly recondite concept and to show straight people that lots of us exist and that we are nice people.
The Summit relied on a similar strategy. The main handout from the conference, the Media Guide to Bisexuality and Reporting on LGBT Issues, included a list of more than 300 "famous bisexuals in history," from Julius Caesar to Nell Carter, and the final panel discussion of the conference brought 11 people (admittedly, not all of them bisexual) up to the stage to speculate on the reasons why bisexuals are so often ignored.
From a numbers standpoint, the weekend was a success. Lambert estimated that 150 people attended the conference -- so many that extra chairs had to be brought in and more media guides had to be printed.
"I'm assuming we're all bi here?" asked one young male attendee in the back row, addressing the people sitting around him.
This reporter wasn't brave enough to contradict him.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 21 min 53 sec ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 32 min 26 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 51 min ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 7 min ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 1 hour 9 min ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 40 min ago