BY William McGuinness
April 07 2010 5:15 PM ET
For organizations not governed by municipal laws that mandate inclusion, however, the funding of Learning for Life programs is a common subject for debate. In 2003 the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania also pulled its funding from area Learning for Life posts, citing that the program's distinction from the Boy Scouts of America was insufficient. But not all regions have followed.
United Way Worldwide spokeswoman Sally Fabens said that because local
United Way organizations are separately incorporated, no funding
policies are passed to local chapters from United Way Worldwide. While
the United Way of Palm Beach, Fla., cut all funding, the Chicago
United Way organization gave $400,000 to Learning for Life after months of
deliberation in 2001.
Despite these decisions, Learning for Life's national director, John Anthony, told The Advocate in a statement that “Learning for Life programs are not Boy Scout programs, and Boy Scout membership requirements have no relevance to Learning for Life programs.” He also asserted that Learning for Life has always enforced a policy of nondiscrimination.
The SFVBA's diversity committee will decide how substantive the policy is this month. Robert Flagg, SFVBA’s president, said the board will decide if the post will continue in its current incarnation or as an in-house program, similar to one the LAPD has created.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM