Six Great Things That Happened This Week
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 15 2013 2:26 PM ET
The U.S. Senate Got its First Republican Supporter of Marriage Equality
Ohio Senator Rob Portman today announced "a change of heart" over marriage equality spurred on because his son is gay. Portman is a high-profile member of his party and was often mentioned as a potential vice presidential pick for Mitt Romney. He's President George W. Bush's former budget director. And he credits former vice president Dick Cheney, an advocate for marriage equality whose daughter is a lesbian, with advising him to "do the right thing, follow your heart," according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Portman is pictured above with his son.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Texas Couple Who Sued for Marriage License Will Now Receive It
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'