BY Shane L. Windmeyer
October 23 2009 1:45 PM ET
Dr. William Bynum, the vice president of student services, went on record stating, “We are talking about five students who are living a gay lifestyle that is leading them to dress a way we do not expect in Morehouse men.”
For a college that prides itself on developing “transformational leaders with a social conscious,” the college has failed once again to live up to such progressive ideals when it comes to LGBT people. Morehouse administrators, including the president at the time of the antigay shower bashing, have readily acknowledged the prevalence of homophobia on campus. Morehouse College, however, has done little since then to address the issue. As quoted, administrators like Bynum still refer to being gay as a “lifestyle” and then reinforce homophobic behaviors with a pseudo concept of masculinity.
As a way to justify the policy, the announcement mentions that the Morehouse Safe Space, the gay student organization on campus, approved the measure by a 24-3 vote. It seems we have become a nation that justifies bias, prejudice, and bigotry by taking a vote. The gay student organization was formed as a “safe space” after the campus hate crime in 2002.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player