Teen Suicides: What Now?
BY Eliza Byard
October 04 2010 5:02 PM ET
As we come to the end of a very difficult month for all of us who care about LGBT youth, the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network has received countless inquiries from members of the LGBT community asking how they can help. At the same time we’ve been asked if the recent surge in media reports of suicides is a sign of a new crisis or of media waking up to a longstanding problem. The truth is we really don’t know. What is going on is complex and there are no simple answers.
What we do know is that anti-LGBT bullying has long been a severe public health crisis, especially during the back-to-school season. The consequences of school environments where nearly nine out of 10 LGBT youth are harassed each year because of their sexual orientation have been real and severe for a very long time. (Be alert for signs of depression and suicidal ideation and provide hot line info or referrals. The Trevor Lifeline is (866) 4-U-Trevor.)
The time has come for all members of the LGBT, allied, and school communities to come together to do their part to address the culture of bullying and harassment in our nation’s schools and the hugely negative impact it has on our youth. The urgency is profound and the response must be collective.
As concerned friends, family, and community members and engaged and allied students, we must do our part to help at-risk youth now. Studies show that when a young LGBT person knows she or he has adult support — a teacher, nurse, guidance counselor, or parent — the individual is much more likely to turn to them for help when bullied or depressed. This support frees youth from feelings of isolation.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM