Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
Carl Streed, Jr.
- from Zion, Ill.
- pursuing an MD at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Erickson-Zoellers Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The Point Foundation will help relieve the financial burden of medical school that so often pushes students into specialties rather than health fields that can better serve our community (e.g. community health, public health, primary care). Additionally, and more importantly, the mentorship and leadership training opportunities provided by the Point Foundation will provide me with the skills and mentors I will need to have an impact on a larger scale; I believe we must learn from our past and present leaders, to stand on the shoulders of giants, to move our community forward.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
With the Point Foundation, I want to create a network of students in the health professions that can mobilize quickly to address policy issues (local and national) while remaining uniquely autonomous to serve local communities effectively. I've already begun discussing a regional model with colleagues, and I believe the Point Foundation will make it possible to scale these efforts, to effect change on a grander scale.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Will GOP Candidates Sign NOM’s 2016 Hate Pledge?
- Mike Huckabee: Selfish 'Redefinition of Love' Is Destroying Marriage