Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Lowell, Mass.
- pursuing a BA in political science and women's and gender studies, Columbia University
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
I’m so excited to join a community of individuals really devoted to queer issues. I’m really looking forward to getting to know everyone involved with Point, and learning from my peers and mentors. Point will also make it possible for me to pursue my education further than the undergraduate level. Following graduation, I will be able to pursue a PhD. in gender and sexuality, which I hope to use to participate in queer scholarship, be more active in LGBTQ activism, and get engaged in policy work.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
I have always had the support of accepting environments and communities, and I would hope that one day all LGBTQ youth can have similar experiences to mine. I’d like to do whatever I can to promote this kind of acceptance – through education and politics primarily. I believe that these, especially the former, are the best tools and platforms with which to fight ignorance.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 37 min 44 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM