Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from Jasper, Ind.
- pursuing a BA in business, New York University
- Toyota Financial Services Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change (or help) your future?
Coming from a very low-income family, the thought of having a majority of my college education paid for through the Point Foundation makes me feel like I can accomplish anything and that nothing can set me back. Having financial strain removed from your worries is one of the greatest feelings a person can have, in my opinion. But beyond the obvious lack of debt, Point will increase my chance for involvement and commitment to LGBT efforts that I wasn’t able to give in high school. Point will also provide contacts and opportunities to ensure I not only have success in contributing to the LGBT community, but also in my career and future ventures. But, most importantly, Point has and will continue to provide for me a sense of family, community, and support that is hard to find elsewhere. The people involved with Point are so caring and committed that I am honored to be a part of the organization and can’t wait for the experiences ahead.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
The opportunity is now to spread the values of our community and its mission. Hoping to have a film degree in four years, I want to use my skills in marketing and media to show the world who we are and what we stand for. Our world is becoming a lot more responsive to visual learning rather than the “textbook” style. Shows like Glee and Modern Family are using LGBT characters in way that promotes goodwill and betterment, and it’s time to expand the concept. Making documentaries and box-office films that tell stories, yet show the reality of the LGBT community and its people is something I want to pursue to change the stereotypes and misconceptions in the general public. If they can see it, there is a better change they will believe in it.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- A Letter to My Partners
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 11 min 8 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 13 min 39 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 26 min 13 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 30 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 31 min 54 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 18 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 33 min ago