Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from Jasper, Ind.
- pursuing a BA in business, New York University
- Toyota Financial Services Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change (or help) your future?
Coming from a very low-income family, the thought of having a majority of my college education paid for through the Point Foundation makes me feel like I can accomplish anything and that nothing can set me back. Having financial strain removed from your worries is one of the greatest feelings a person can have, in my opinion. But beyond the obvious lack of debt, Point will increase my chance for involvement and commitment to LGBT efforts that I wasn’t able to give in high school. Point will also provide contacts and opportunities to ensure I not only have success in contributing to the LGBT community, but also in my career and future ventures. But, most importantly, Point has and will continue to provide for me a sense of family, community, and support that is hard to find elsewhere. The people involved with Point are so caring and committed that I am honored to be a part of the organization and can’t wait for the experiences ahead.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
The opportunity is now to spread the values of our community and its mission. Hoping to have a film degree in four years, I want to use my skills in marketing and media to show the world who we are and what we stand for. Our world is becoming a lot more responsive to visual learning rather than the “textbook” style. Shows like Glee and Modern Family are using LGBT characters in way that promotes goodwill and betterment, and it’s time to expand the concept. Making documentaries and box-office films that tell stories, yet show the reality of the LGBT community and its people is something I want to pursue to change the stereotypes and misconceptions in the general public. If they can see it, there is a better change they will believe in it.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM