Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 6:40 PM ET
2002: The Boyd County Board of Education in Boyd, Ky. suspended all clubs in the district — kindergarten through 12th grade — in order to prevent a gay-straight alliance from forming. The club was petitioned after many homophobic incidents, including one where students rallied together and stated that they needed to “take all the fucking faggots out in the back woods and kill them.”
Update: In 2004, officials eventually gave the students in the gay rights club permission to meet at Boyd County High School after a lengthy legal battle.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere