Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 5:40 PM ET
2002: The Boyd County Board of Education in Boyd, Ky. suspended all clubs in the district — kindergarten through 12th grade — in order to prevent a gay-straight alliance from forming. The club was petitioned after many homophobic incidents, including one where students rallied together and stated that they needed to “take all the fucking faggots out in the back woods and kill them.”
Update: In 2004, officials eventually gave the students in the gay rights club permission to meet at Boyd County High School after a lengthy legal battle.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'