Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 5:40 PM ET
1988: The first gay-straight alliance was formed at Concord Academy, a
college prep high school in Concord, Massachusetts, by then-teacher Kevin
Jennings. He went on to establish GLSEN, and most recently, Jennings
served as the Assistant Deputy Secretary for the Office of State and
Drug-Free Schools at the United States Department of Education under
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'