At GLSEN Awards, Stars Share Their Growing Pains
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 09 2012 7:07 PM ET
Chely Wright arrives at the 8th Annual GLSEN Respect Awards held at Beverly Hills Hotel.
“It’s hard when you’re a kid, right?” Wright continued. “But it underscores the fact that those of us who are safe and able, those of us with jobs and mortgages, we have to remember what it feels like to be a kid. We have to remember to go back to those communities and do our best to change those environments so they don’t have to step up every day.”
Actor Wilson Cruz, who portrayed troubled gay teen Rickie Vasquez on the cult television show My So-Called Life, echoed this sentiment, and drew parallels between his own life and the struggles of his character. One episode, in which Rickie is kicked out of his parents’ home for being gay, is based on Cruz’s real-life experience.
“My So-Called Life was basically my life in high school,” said Cruz. “My advice for closeted kids hasn’t changed in 18 years. The only reason to come out as a young person is if you feel safe at home and safe at school. If you feel there’s any possibility of you being harmed, or left out on the street, without a means to support yourself, then it’s not the time to come out. Your job is to become educated and self-sufficient, so that one day you can come out as an adult.”
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 5 min 51 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 48 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 49 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 53 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM