Catholic University Denies Recognition to LGBT Student Group
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2012 7:58 PM ET
Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., has rejected a request for university recognition of an LGBT student group, CUAllies, but supporters are vowing to fight on.
University administrators turned the group down this month because, they say, they fear it will become an advocacy organization, Metro Weekly reports. But organizers say they have repeatedly reassured administrators that CUAllies “would not actively promote causes that might be in conflict with Catholic Church with regard to homosexuality,” the paper notes.
Leaders of CUAllies may seek to put the question of recognition to a university-wide student vote. If a majority of students voted in favor of the group, the administration could still override this, but it would show the degree of support for the organization, said Ryan Fecteau, speaker of the Student Association and a former CUAllies director. Most members of the Student Association and representatives of several other campus groups supported CUAllies.
CU had an officially recognized gay and lesbian student group from 1988 to 2002, Fecteau noted. Also, some other Catholic universities sanction LGBT student groups. The University of Notre Dame in Indiana this month announced it would recognize an LGBT group, something students had sought for years, and Georgetown University in D.C. has had an LGBTQ Resource Center since 2008.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 2 hours 54 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 2 hours 57 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM