Catholic University Denies Recognition to LGBT Student Group
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2012 6:58 PM ET
Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., has rejected a request for university recognition of an LGBT student group, CUAllies, but supporters are vowing to fight on.
University administrators turned the group down this month because, they say, they fear it will become an advocacy organization, Metro Weekly reports. But organizers say they have repeatedly reassured administrators that CUAllies “would not actively promote causes that might be in conflict with Catholic Church with regard to homosexuality,” the paper notes.
Leaders of CUAllies may seek to put the question of recognition to a university-wide student vote. If a majority of students voted in favor of the group, the administration could still override this, but it would show the degree of support for the organization, said Ryan Fecteau, speaker of the Student Association and a former CUAllies director. Most members of the Student Association and representatives of several other campus groups supported CUAllies.
CU had an officially recognized gay and lesbian student group from 1988 to 2002, Fecteau noted. Also, some other Catholic universities sanction LGBT student groups. The University of Notre Dame in Indiana this month announced it would recognize an LGBT group, something students had sought for years, and Georgetown University in D.C. has had an LGBTQ Resource Center since 2008.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis 1 hour 42 min ago
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees 2 hours 39 min ago
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM