Oregon Principal Claims He Was Let Go For Being Gay
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 08 2013 8:45 PM ET
An elementary school principal in Gresham, Ore., says school leadership declined to renew his contract because he is openly gay.
Tom Klasnic has been the principal of North Gresham Elementary School for ten years, but when his contract came up for renewal, the district declined to rehire him, reports KOINLocal6. The principal divorced his former wife three years ago, and subsequently came out as gay, reports KOIN.
Klansnic's attorney, Judy Snyder, said that she and her client are preparing to file a lawsuit against the district alleging discrimination and retaliation. Oregon's antidiscrimination laws do include employment protections based on sexual orientation.
"He's been a very successful principal and he's continued to be a very successful principal even under close scrutiny of the last two years," Snyder told KOIN, pointing out that the school district renewed Klansnic's contract twice without performance complaints before the principal came out as gay. "He's had a great deal of difficulty getting specifics as to what he has failed to do to meet performance expectations."
The school district declined to offer specifics about why it did not renew Klansnic's contract, but did confirm that it has a nondiscrimination policy that includes sexual orientation.
"It's our policy not to discuss personnel matter," said Athena Vadnais, a spokesperson for the school. "And under Oregon state law, anything within an employee's file is confidential."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 18 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM