Oregon Principal Claims He Was Let Go For Being Gay
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 08 2013 8:45 PM ET
An elementary school principal in Gresham, Ore., says school leadership declined to renew his contract because he is openly gay.
Tom Klasnic has been the principal of North Gresham Elementary School for ten years, but when his contract came up for renewal, the district declined to rehire him, reports KOINLocal6. The principal divorced his former wife three years ago, and subsequently came out as gay, reports KOIN.
Klansnic's attorney, Judy Snyder, said that she and her client are preparing to file a lawsuit against the district alleging discrimination and retaliation. Oregon's antidiscrimination laws do include employment protections based on sexual orientation.
"He's been a very successful principal and he's continued to be a very successful principal even under close scrutiny of the last two years," Snyder told KOIN, pointing out that the school district renewed Klansnic's contract twice without performance complaints before the principal came out as gay. "He's had a great deal of difficulty getting specifics as to what he has failed to do to meet performance expectations."
The school district declined to offer specifics about why it did not renew Klansnic's contract, but did confirm that it has a nondiscrimination policy that includes sexual orientation.
"It's our policy not to discuss personnel matter," said Athena Vadnais, a spokesperson for the school. "And under Oregon state law, anything within an employee's file is confidential."
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 1 min 15 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 16 min 28 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 30 min 21 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 33 min 1 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 44 min 50 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 48 min 22 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 50 min 56 sec ago