Gay Student Told He Was Too Feminine to Borrow Laptop
BY Michelle Garcia
October 28 2013 1:41 PM ET UPDATED: October 28 2013 3:18 PM ET
A student at Florida Atlantic University was reportedly told he could not borrow a laptop from the campus library because the librarian did not believe that his photo ID could actually be his — she claimed he looked like a woman.
Abdul Asquith, who is gay, said he does sometimes were feminine clothing, but was not when he arrived at the library last Wednesday. That day he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and shorts, and he had his long hair pulled back.
He handed the librarian his current student ID, he told West Palm Beach TV station WPTV, and "she looked at the ID and looked down at it. She said, 'You sound, look, and act like a girl, and in this ID is a man, therefore I'm not giving you a laptop.'"
Asquith said he was embarrassed, since the scene played out in front of other students in line to borrow laptops.
"It looks just like me," he said. "I identify with my ID. I wasn't there dressed up. I didn't have a dress on. I wasn't dressed in character."
According to WPTV, the university is investigating the incident, and an administrator issued and in-person apology to Asquith. Watch WPTV's latest update below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM