One in Six U.K. LGBs Are Hate-Crime Victims, Says Poll
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 14 2013 5:11 PM ET
One in six LGB people living in the U.K. have been the victim of a hate crime, according to a new report.
The findings were attained through a poll of 2,500 gay, lesbian, and bisexual British people by YouGov, an online market research firm, reports The Guardian.
The research was commissioned by the LGBT nonprofit Stonewall and published in its 2013 Gay British Crime Survey, which will be released later this week.
The study also revealed that two thirds of LGB victims did not report the hate crime after it occurred. Of those who did report the crime to police, less than one tenth said his or her complaint led to a conviction, and only one in four victims were referred to a support group by authorities after the traumatic experience.
One in 10 reported experiencing physical assault. One in eight reported sexual assault. And almost one in five said they were verbally assaulted and threatened with violence. Moreover, over a third said they were repeat victims, with than four incidents.
Representatives of Stonewall said they hope the survey will result in broad systemic changes in British’s criminal justice system, which will result in greater protections for LGB people.
"No one should live in fear of verbal or physical violence just because of the way they were born," Ruth Hunt, Stonewall's deputy chief executive, told The Guardian. "Despite radical steps to make police forces more accountable to the public, these figures show the disturbing levels of violence and intimidation faced every day by lesbian, gay and bisexual people in Britain. Most victims don't report abuse and, if they do turn to the police, they have low expectations that anyone will listen or act."
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Hot Sheet: History Boys
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 27 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 31 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 46 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM