NYPD Releases Sketch of Suspect in Gay Journalist's Beating
BY Trudy Ring
January 28 2014 8:26 PM ET
The New York Police Department has released a sketch depicting a suspect in the attack on gay journalist Randy Gener in the early-morning hours of January 17.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man in his 20s, about six feet tall and weighing about 160 pounds, with short black hair, reports Gay City News. He was dressed in black jeans and a black jacket at the time of the attack, and he left the scene in a gray, four-door Nissan with Mississippi license plate number KAT397.
Gener, a journalist who has written for The New York Times and other outlets, was beaten severely about a block from his apartment in midtown Manhattan was he walked home from a party, and he was found by a passerby. He suffered severe head trauma, for which he underwent surgery, and he is in the intensive care unit at St. Luke’s Hospital, listed in serious but stable condition. Police are investigating the assault as a possible hate crime.
There was no information as to how police obtained the description of the suspect, as the NYPD did not respond to Gay City News’ inquiry on the matter by press time. Gener has apparently been unable to recall details of the attack, and police asked the public for information. The neighborhood has numerous high-rise buildings with security cameras, so the crime may have been captured on video.
Anyone with further information may provide it anonymously via the police tip line, (800) 577-TIPS.
Gener’s family has set up an online campaign to raise funds for his medical care. Donations are being accepted here.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM