Rules for Renting in Britain
BY Neal Broverman
July 03 2012 2:48 PM ET
People placing classified ads for flatmates in the United Kingdom should be advised the practice is illegal, warns The Telegraph.
The Equality Act of 2010 barred anyone renting or subleting a property from “discriminat[ing] against or victimiz[ing]” interested parties based on their religion, race, age, marital status, sexuality or physical ability. As part of that, people are no longer allowed to specifically request a gay roommate or one based on other factors like ethnicity or age. A discrimination lawyer reminds readers that such an request, usually made through a classified ad, could lead to a discrimination complaint.
Roommate-seekers in Britian are encouraged to place classified ads that describe themselves, which can help attract those comfortable with an LGBT person. Read more here.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's Drag Royalty
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- University Expels Student for Being Lesbian, Demands She Repay Tuition
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 35 min 2 sec ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM