Latest Challenge to Calif. Ban on 'Reparative Therapy' Launched
BY Neal Broverman
October 08 2012 2:52 PM ET
The antigay Liberty Counsel filed a civil rights lawsuit on Thursday against California's recently passed law banning "reparative therapy" that attempts to turn gay children straight.
The lawsuit names Encino psychologist Joseph Nicolosi and two Southern California boys undergoing such "therapy," age 14 and 15, as plaintiffs in the suit. The Liberty Council claims the new law violates the teens' freedom of speech and religion by denying them the chance to be "cured" of their same-sex attractions. Read more here.
The challenge is now the second against the landmark law. Last week a group called the Pacific Justice Institute filed suit.
Meanwhile, lawmakers in New Jersey indicate they want their own version of California's "conversion therapy" legislation.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'