Hawaii Senate Committee Pushes Marriage Bill Forward
BY Michelle Garcia
October 29 2013 2:17 PM ET
A Hawaii state Senate committee advanced legislation Monday that could establish marriage equality across the state.
Approximately 1,800 people signed up to testify before the Senate Judiciary and Labor Committee, which voted 5-2 to move the bill to the full Senate, reports the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
"It's historic in the sense that there's a huge paradigm shift, but that's a shift that, in my opinion, bends the arc of justice toward the right way," said committee chairman Clayton Hee, according to the paper. "It takes us to a new level of equal rights."
Gov. Neil Abercrombie told Al Jazeera that he expects to have signed the bill into law within a week.
Abercrombie said the bill was prompted by the U.S. Supreme Court's decision overturning part of the Defense of Marriage Act. Hawaii, however, was where the debate over marriage rights for same-sex couples began two decades ago, when the state Supreme Court ruled that it violated the Hawaii constitution to deny marriage rights to gay and lesbian couples. The ruling set off a domino effect of laws passed to prevent same-sex couples from marrying, including a change to Hawaii's constitution allowing the legislature to define marriage — which it did to the exclusion of gay and lesbian couples, something it appears likely to reverse now.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM