PHOTOS: Hanging Out at the GLAAD Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2013 1:04 PM ET
The 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards took place Saturday night at the New York Mariott Marquis, and was hosted by Good Morning America's Sam Champion, Josh Elliot, and Lara Spencer. Madonna, Bernadette Peters, Dan Stevens, Russell Simmons, Milla Jovovich, Jake Shears, Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo were among the special guests.
The Advocate and its sibling publication, Out, both owned by Here Media, took home the award for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage. AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague earned an award for Outstanding Documentary, and NBC's Smash was awarded Outstanding Drama. See a full list of the winners here.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives, according to the organization's website. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released, or broadcast between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012. Additional award recipients will be announced in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott, and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco — Union Square.
Anderson Cooper accepted his fourth Vito Russo Award from Madonna, saying "I've had so many blessings in my life, and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings. It has allowed me to love and to be loved and to help open my head and my heart in ways I could never have predicted. The ability to love one another, the ability to love another person is, in my opinion, one of God's greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life — my family, and my friends, and my partner Benjamin. Thank you very much, and thank you for being here."
Watch Cooper's speech, via GLAAD, below:
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis 1 hour 46 min ago
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees 2 hours 43 min ago
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM