PHOTOS: Hanging Out at the GLAAD Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2013 2:04 PM ET
The 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards took place Saturday night at the New York Mariott Marquis, and was hosted by Good Morning America's Sam Champion, Josh Elliot, and Lara Spencer. Madonna, Bernadette Peters, Dan Stevens, Russell Simmons, Milla Jovovich, Jake Shears, Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo were among the special guests.
The Advocate and its sibling publication, Out, both owned by Here Media, took home the award for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage. AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague earned an award for Outstanding Documentary, and NBC's Smash was awarded Outstanding Drama. See a full list of the winners here.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives, according to the organization's website. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released, or broadcast between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012. Additional award recipients will be announced in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott, and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco — Union Square.
Anderson Cooper accepted his fourth Vito Russo Award from Madonna, saying "I've had so many blessings in my life, and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings. It has allowed me to love and to be loved and to help open my head and my heart in ways I could never have predicted. The ability to love one another, the ability to love another person is, in my opinion, one of God's greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life — my family, and my friends, and my partner Benjamin. Thank you very much, and thank you for being here."
Watch Cooper's speech, via GLAAD, below:
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 50 min 26 sec ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM