My 35-Year Military Battle
BY Advocate Contributors
March 24 2011 4:30 PM ET
Even more interesting is what we 13 who took to the fence in November are going through. The federal prosecutor served each one of us with a "Summons in a Criminal Case," hand-delivered by — are you ready? — U.S. marshals. Just like mafiosi. Further, the government is using an extremely obscure statute, Section 2.32(a)(2) of the United States Code of Federal Regulation, to prosecute us. This section has never been used before in a case involving civil disobedience at the White House; it is a federal charge that carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail and a $500 fine. Trumped-up charges is putting it mildly; in fact, each of us is being criminally charged with a misdemeanor (nature unknown).
For two of us who are teachers, this could spell the end of our careers. We have asked for a trial since the federal prosecutor has refused to bargain other than to reduce the fines for some, but not all. We 13 are getting extra-harsh treatment because the government got mud on its face the last time it went to court against participants of earlier actions.
So the damage and nastiness of DADT remain and are even now still claiming hearts and lives. For myself, I have been fighting this injustice for 36 years, and I am getting ornery and do not feel like being civil. There are days when I seethe with the rage I carry and I wish I had done more — could do more. 2011 meanders on with good Americans being discharged; good Americans denied the right to serve again; and good Americans being refused the honor of service to country. I wonder if this damn intractable meandering will ever end.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM