Say What?! 5 Bad Questions for Gay Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
August 19 2011 6:00 AM ET
Q: How much did you pay for them?
Dan Bloom: That question is never asked of heterosexual parents, but for some reason people ask it freely when they discover a gay couple had children with the assistance of a surrogate. My answer is typically, “I don’t know — I’ve never even thought about it that way.” If asked in front of the kids, it makes them feel like a commodity, as if they were purchased on the open market.
- A Best-Case, Worst-Case Look at the Supreme Court's Options
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Op-ed: 6 Lessons a Straight Couple Learned From Owning a Gay Bar
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Op-ed: Male Gays and the Male Gaze
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally