Right-Wing Critic of Working Moms Adds on Diss of Gay Parents
BY Trudy Ring
May 31 2013 12:57 PM ET
After lamenting the increasing number of women who are their family’s primary breadwinners, right-wing pundit Erick Erickson is doubling down and dissing gay parents to justify his views.
In a segment on the Fox News Channel Wednesday, Erickson, Lou Dobbs, and Juan Williams discussed a recent Pew Research Center study indicating that 40% of U.S. households with minor children have the mother as the sole or primary breadwinner. They reacted as if this heralded the downfall of society, with Erickson asserting that the trend goes against biological imperatives:
“When you look at biology, look at the natural world, the roles of a male and female in society, and the other animals, the male typically is the dominant role. The female, it’s not antithesis, or it’s not competing, it’s a complementary role. We as people in a smart society have lost the ability to have complementary relationships in nuclear families, and it’s tearing us apart.”
In a post on his Red State blog yesterday, Erickson noted that “feminist and emo lefties have their panties in a wad” over his comments, and he responded to them by saying he recognizes that women sometimes have to be the primary source of support for their families, but it’s not the preferable arrangement.
“This does not mean the two-parent, heterosexual nuclear household will always work out for the best,” he wrote. “But it does mean children in that environment will more often than not be more successful than children of single parents or gay parents.”
Erickson, who accused those who don’t endorse traditional gender roles of being antiscience, of course ignored the ample scientific evidence that children of gay parents do just as well in life as children of straight ones.
Watch the original Fox panel discussion below:
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 8 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 12 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 1 hour 45 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 5 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM