My Father, My Hero
BY Jase Peeples
June 14 2013 2:00 AM ET
Father’s Day is an opportunity for many of us to celebrate one of the most important men in our lives, our dads. From fathers who have gone to extraordinary lengths to build their families to those who have become powerful advocates in memory of their LGBT children who have passed away, join us as we take a look back at the stories of a few amazing fathers whose unconditional love and support have touched thousands of people over the past year.
Dad Stands Behind Bullied Son on Facebook, Gets School Response
When school administrators and local officials wouldn't take his son's claims of bullying seriously, Matthew Bent turned to Facebook by posting a photo of himself standing behind his son holding a sign that read, "I stand behind my son in the fight against bullying! Please 'like' and 'share' to send a message loud and clear that bullying needs to stop now! Tell school districts that protecting bullies by turning a blind eye is wrong! Shame on Kaukauna area schools for protecting a bully in their school!"
After the photo went viral, with nearly half a million likes and shares, the boy's school responded and not only disciplined the students involved but announced plans to update the district's antibullying resources in response to the incident as well.
Watch the Bents tell their story to Matt Lauer on Today below and read The Advocate’s full coverage of the incident here.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM