9 Tales of Young Love and Old Memories
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 29 2013 5:00 AM ET
Bryant Gordon, 76
As a student at University of California, Berkeley, Bryant Gordon would drop off his girlfriend at her sorority by her 11 p.m. curfew. Afterward, he would head down to a gay bar that was popular with college students.
While at a party one night, Gordon met Bob, and the two began a relationship that would last for years to come. Eventually, the couple moved to New York together.
“Every day was a memory, every day was fabulous,” Gordon says. “We rarely argued. He had a lot of passions and a lot of interests. ... He always made sure I was happy.”
Bob died in 1984 of an AIDS-related illness, an event that, in addition to being emotionally traumatic for Gordon, caused a rupture among family and friends.
“There were some relatives and some friends of ours that dropped us completely,” says Gordon, who moved to Hawaii for several years after Bob’s death. Hawaii, he says, was “therapeutic.”
Today, Gordon, 76 is seeing a 27-year-old Filipino man who is “more straight than gay. … Bob was Filipino, too. I have a thing for Asians.”
Gordon is cheerful and quick to joke about the experience of dating across race and generations.
“We drank too much that night, and the sex was awful,” he recalls about the first date with his new lover. “It was embarrassing for everybody.” And has it gotten better? “In my mind, perhaps.”
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 1 hour 36 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 2 hours 35 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM