Newlywed Gay Playwright Killed in Midtown NYC Fire
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 06 2014 2:51 PM ET
A fire Sunday in a midtown New York City high-rise apartment building was tragic for gay couple who married last summer.
Daniel McClung, 27, died as a result of injuries suffered in the stairwell as he tried to escape from his 32nd floor apartment. His husband, Michael Cohen, 32, suffered smoke inhalation and was in stable condition at a local hospital Monday, according to CNN.
An unoccupied apartment on the 20th floor of the Strand, a high-rise in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan, caught fire Sunday, spreading smoke and flames several stories up the 42-floor building at 10th Avenue and West 43rd Street. CNN reports that a total of six people were treated for minor injuries. Thus far, McClung appears to be the only fatality.
McClung's website bills him as a playwright and fiction writer based in New York City whose work includes Inamorato, Flimsy Things, and The Paper Nautilus.
Watch CNN's report below.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 8 min 46 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 25 min 21 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 43 min 21 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 45 min 28 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 8 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 50 min ago