It's Official: President Obama Proclaims Pride Month
BY Trudy Ring
June 01 2012 7:58 PM ET
For the fourth year in a row, President Obama has officially declared June LGBT Pride Month.
The president’s proclamation, released today, touts his administration’s LGBT rights accomplishments, such as repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” passage of comprehensive hate-crimes legislation, and expansion of hospital visitation rights for same-sex partners. It also notes that there is much work still to be done.
“This month, as we reflect on how far we have come and how far we have yet to go, let us recall that the progress we have made is built on the words and deeds of ordinary Americans,” the proclamation reads in part. “Let us pay tribute to those who came before us, and those who continue their work today; and let us rededicate ourselves to a task that is unending — the pursuit of a Nation where all are equal, and all have the full and unfettered opportunity to pursue happiness and live openly and freely.” He also notes, “I personally believe in marriage equality for same-sex couples.”
Watch video of the president below, and read the full proclamation on the next page.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 55 min 35 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM