Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
11. Veterans Administration Raises the Bar on Trans Health
In a significant step forward, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs issued a directive establishing the respectful treatment of trans veterans. The directive reiterates coverage of the most basic and necessary medical care by the VA including sex-specific care, hormone therapy, and mental health services. While advocates continue to press the VA on including sex reassignment surgery in their programs, the directive has raised the standard for the equal treatment of trans people by both public and private healthcare providers.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'