Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
11. Veterans Administration Raises the Bar on Trans Health
In a significant step forward, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs issued a directive establishing the respectful treatment of trans veterans. The directive reiterates coverage of the most basic and necessary medical care by the VA including sex-specific care, hormone therapy, and mental health services. While advocates continue to press the VA on including sex reassignment surgery in their programs, the directive has raised the standard for the equal treatment of trans people by both public and private healthcare providers.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Amber Heard: 'I Don’t Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'