Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 7:10 PM ET
11. Veterans Administration Raises the Bar on Trans Health
In a significant step forward, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs issued a directive establishing the respectful treatment of trans veterans. The directive reiterates coverage of the most basic and necessary medical care by the VA including sex-specific care, hormone therapy, and mental health services. While advocates continue to press the VA on including sex reassignment surgery in their programs, the directive has raised the standard for the equal treatment of trans people by both public and private healthcare providers.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment