Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
12. Chaz Bono Teaching Trans to the Masses
Chaz Bono on Dancing With the Stars marked the first time an openly trans man starred on a major network television show for something unrelated to being trans. Bono's welcome quickly turned into controversy, but his resilience and warm persona told Americans that they have a lot in common with him and other trans people. I credit Chaz for his willingness to tell his story, and for teaching Americans at least a little bit about our lives.
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- Miley Cyrus Confirms: 'I'm Pansexual'