Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
9. Improved Standards of Care for Trans People
In September, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health released significantly improved standards to meet the medical needs of trans people. The key updates include the recognition that gender nonconformity is not a disorder, repudiation of the effectiveness of "reparative therapy," and the affirmation that transition-related treatments should be covered by insurance. The Standards of Care are a critical resource for providers across the country, and has led the change in creating positive norms for trans health care.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Here's How You Can Celebrate Trans Pride on Facebook, Too!