Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
9. Improved Standards of Care for Trans People
In September, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health released significantly improved standards to meet the medical needs of trans people. The key updates include the recognition that gender nonconformity is not a disorder, repudiation of the effectiveness of "reparative therapy," and the affirmation that transition-related treatments should be covered by insurance. The Standards of Care are a critical resource for providers across the country, and has led the change in creating positive norms for trans health care.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?