Evidence Shows Boy Scouts Org. Lumped Gays With Pedophiles
BY Neal Broverman
October 15 2012 2:46 PM ET
Twenty-thousand pages of documents from Boy Scout officials were recently released per orders from the Oregon supreme court, and the paperwork shows the organization lumped gay people and convicted and accused pedophiles together among their list of "ineligible volunteers."
Among 50 files reviewed by a Seattle TV station, 48 involved accusations of molestation, while two involved men who were simply gay. While the Boy Scouts don't try to hide their ban on gay scouts and leaders, it's now clear the group often conflates molestation with homosexuality. One finding uncovered a 1970s investigation of a Scout leader who was banned for life because he told a friend he was gay in a private letter.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 19 min 45 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 24 min 41 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 33 min 33 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 37 min 52 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 47 min 18 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 51 min 32 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 41 min ago