Evidence Shows Boy Scouts Org. Lumped Gays With Pedophiles
BY Neal Broverman
October 15 2012 3:46 PM ET
Twenty-thousand pages of documents from Boy Scout officials were recently released per orders from the Oregon supreme court, and the paperwork shows the organization lumped gay people and convicted and accused pedophiles together among their list of "ineligible volunteers."
Among 50 files reviewed by a Seattle TV station, 48 involved accusations of molestation, while two involved men who were simply gay. While the Boy Scouts don't try to hide their ban on gay scouts and leaders, it's now clear the group often conflates molestation with homosexuality. One finding uncovered a 1970s investigation of a Scout leader who was banned for life because he told a friend he was gay in a private letter.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Minister to LGBT People: Thanks for Making Me More Antigay
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher