Scout Troop Ends Nondiscrimination Policy Thanks to Antigay Org.
BY Neal Broverman
January 28 2013 11:44 AM ET
A Boy Scouts troop in Maryland that operated with a nondiscrimination policy will return to "don't ask, don't tell" after the antigay national organization threatened to yank their charter.
Pack 442 of Cloverly, Md. recently adopted an nondiscrimination policy allowing openly gay scouts and leaders, but according to Pack 442's website, the national organization "contacted us a few weeks ago pressuring us to remove our statement, we attempted to negotiate a rewording of the statement that would represent a compromise on the matter, but ultimately [National Capital Area Council] leadership felt only removal of the statement would be acceptable."
The equality-minded pack acquiesced to pressure from the parent organization, releasing the following statement on their website this weekend:
"Due to pressure from the National Capital Area Council of BSA, Pack 442 was forced to remove its Non-Discrimination statement in order to keep our Charter (set to expire Jan. 31st).This Non-Discrimination statement, previously posted here, welcomed ALL families. Please feel free to send feeback to NCAC at 301-530-9360."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 47 min 57 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM