PHOTOS: Students and Stars Shine at Point Foundation Benefit
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 11 2013 6:00 AM ET
Dean Pitchford — songwriter and screenwriter, Footloose
What brings you here tonight?
“I have been asked to receive the Courage Award … my husband, Michael, and I have been supporting [Point Foundation] for a very long time. Michael was married before we got together and has two grown children. Together we have in-laws. We have grandchildren. We have lots of children in our lives. We’ve watched and seen a lot of them grow up. And I know — as a victim of bullying and the kind of upbringing you went through when you were gay in a small town in the ’60s and ’70s and ’80 s — how much help is appreciated. We’re just trying to do what we can.”
What message would you like to send to LGBT youth?
I’ve always thought … that all it takes is two people to believe in you. Usually, one is in the family — your mother or an older brother or [another member] that believes in you. But then you need somebody outside the family, because usually young people think, What does she know? She’s my mom. But if somebody else corroborates that opinion, then it’s amazing. Just two opinions like that can turn a person’s life in the right direction and send them off to incredible accomplishments.
Who is your role model?
My old friend Vito Russo. Vito Russo was a dear friend of mine. When I first got to New York, he became a mentor and was involved on marches, and he took me to ACT UP meetings, and I sat and listened to him scream at Larry Kramer and said, "I don’t think I can take much more of this!" But those people who were doing this when there was no template for it. And Vito was one of those people.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 31 min 13 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 37 min 33 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 59 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 9 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 16 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 30 min ago