PHOTOS: Students and Stars Shine at Point Foundation Benefit
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 11 2013 5:00 AM ET
Who is your role model? What message would you like to send to LGBT youth?
Growing up, my mentor was my coach, Ron O'Brien, who happens to be straight. He accepted me as I am. Through all the trials and tribulations of difficulties growing up — being called "fag," "sissy boy," all that stuff — it really gave me strength. It showed me that I was a much stronger person than I ever dreamed that I could be. When you come from that upbringing and you have that type of empathy, it really is a tremendous strength and gift that these LGBT young people can have.
- A Best-Case, Worst-Case Look at the Supreme Court's Options
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Op-ed: 6 Lessons a Straight Couple Learned From Owning a Gay Bar
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Op-ed: Male Gays and the Male Gaze
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally