PHOTOS: Students and Stars Shine at Point Foundation Benefit
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 11 2013 6:00 AM ET
Who is your role model? What message would you like to send to LGBT youth?
Growing up, my mentor was my coach, Ron O'Brien, who happens to be straight. He accepted me as I am. Through all the trials and tribulations of difficulties growing up — being called "fag," "sissy boy," all that stuff — it really gave me strength. It showed me that I was a much stronger person than I ever dreamed that I could be. When you come from that upbringing and you have that type of empathy, it really is a tremendous strength and gift that these LGBT young people can have.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride